Select Language: English | Spanish | French | Hindi | Sinhala | Portuguese | Hebrew

As of July 1, 2012, Canadian Citizenship and Immigration has stopped accepting application for Permanent Residence in the Foreign Skilled Worker and Investment Class categories.  This freeze is supposed to be temporary and last until January 2013.  It is meant to address the backlog of applications currently awaiting processing. Please stay tuned to our site for the latest developments.

Permanent residents generally have all the same legal rights and benefits as Canadian Citizens, other than the right to vote in elections. However, a person can lose their permanent residency for certain reasons, such as, not maintaining Canadian residence for 730 days out of 5 years. For those interested, eligibility for Canadian citizenship is only a few years away once you obtain permanent residence.

There are several paths to becoming a Permanent Resident in Canada: Sponsorship by an eligible relative in Canada, a Skilled Worker route based on your profession and work experience, investments, opening a business in Canada, or applying to be a refugee (to name a few).

The Foreign Skilled worker program is an option for those who:

  • have at least one year of continuous, full-time (or equivalent) paid work experience in the past decade in a qualifying occupation, which have been identified as the most in-demand occupations in Canada at this time; or
  • qualify for Arranged Employment with a full-time permanent job offer from a Canadian employer.

CLG lawyers can assist you to immigrate to Canada based on your occupation and work experience. To acquire permanent residence based on your foreign work skills, there are several steps which need to be considered.

At the Federal level, if you apply as a Foreign Skilled Worker you will be assessed on a points scale, with a minimum of 67 points required. The points are awarded based on age, education, knowledge of official languages (French and English), arranged employment (whether you have a job offer in Canada awaiting you), and adaptability (if you have been to Canada or have a Canadian relative).

Each Province in Canada has its own provincial nominee program.  This allows you to apply to become a skilled worker through a particular province, which will “select” or nominate you to come live there.  The process is somewhat similar to the federal Skilled Worker route, in that you will need a job offer from a Canadian employer in a particular province.  However, the points required for most provincial nominee programs are far less than 67.  Some provinces require only 35 points to qualify.

Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada and some international students who have graduated from Canadian institutions can look to qualify for Permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class program.

CLG believes that the best and preferred route to immigrate to Canada is to FIRST find an offer of employment from a Canadian employer.  This offer can then be used to support your PR application.  We work with you and your prospective employer to obtain an “Arranged Employment Opinion.”  With this AEO in hand, you will be able to apply for PR without being subject to an annual cap.  You will also be arriving in Canada with a source of income and a daily routine which will enable an easier transition and adaptation for you in Canada.

We cannot find a job offer for you; but we can suggest ways and tips on how to do so from far away.  You can also check our site’s job board for postings from Canadian employers looking for foreign talent.


Restaurant and Food Service Managers
Primary Production Managers (Except Agriculture)
Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management
Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
Biologists and Related Scientists
Specialist Physicians
General Practitioners and Family Physicians
Registered Nurses
Medical Radiation Technologists
Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists
Licensed Practical Nurses
Social Workers
Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
Industrial Electricians
Welders & Related Machine Operators
Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
Crane Operators
Drillers & Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service


For those skilled workers applying under the occupation list, the government will limit the number of applications considered for processing to 20,000 total per year. Within the 20,000 limit, a maximum of 1,000 applications per occupation will be considered. This limit does not apply to applicants with a job offer.


Candidates for the Federal Skilled Worker program and for the Canadian Experience Class Program are required to submit the results of a language proficiency assessment exam, along with a complete set of supporting documents (such as copies of passports, evidence of educational history, documentation of marital status, proof of settlement funds, police clearances, etc.) with their application forms. It does not matter if they come from an English or French speaking country.  No applicant is spared from this step.