The educational system in Canada is excellent and affordable. Canada welcomes international students and CIC has created innovative programs such as the Canadian Experience Class to allow international students to remain in Canada as permanent residents under certain circumstances.
To Study or Not to Study. That is the Question.
According to the CIC website, more than 130,000 students come to study in Canada each year. Even more come to Canada to learn English or French. The CIC states that foreign students bring a rich culture to Canada’s classrooms.
Foreign nationals opting to study in Canada will have options to pursue permanent residence once they graduate from Canadian post-secondary programs. There are new ways for them to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after the studies, making studying in Canada a great option. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.
Who should consider studying in Canada?
- Anyone considering permanent residence and citizenship in Canada, as this can become a real option down the road.
- Foreign nationals in the U.S.A. or elsewhere who have completed a first stage degree and now are considering a Masters or higher level education.
Advantages to Study Permits:
- Foreign students are allowed to work while studying in specific circumstances
- The spouse of a student permit holder in Canada may be able to work for any Canadian employer with an open work permit, and the children of the student should be able to obtain open study permits
- For anyone wanting to take a course of study of six months or less, a study permit is not required (however, if a foreign national wants to take academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college or other educational institution in Canada, he or she will need a study permit before entering Canada)
- Persons interested in studying in Canada can sometimes apply for a study permit directly at the border when the person enters Canada, depending on the circumstances.
Often times, the academic institution can assist the foreign student in the steps required to apply for the study permit. Retaining a lawyer or certified consultant to do this is also an option, at a relatively low cost.
The first step in obtaining a study permit is to apply to and be accepted by a recognized institution in Canada.The academic teaching institution in Canada must be one on a list of CIC-Accredited schools. A letter of acceptance from the school is the starting point for any student permit application.
The spouse of a student permit holder in Canada may be able to work for any Canadian employer with an open work permit, and the children of the student should be able to obtain open study permits.
CLG attorneys have over 18 years of experience with the student permit application process in Canada and can help you make a solid application for the necessary immigration status. CONTACT US