Select Language: English | Spanish | French | Hindi | Sinhala | Portuguese | Hebrew

In order to work in Canada, you will need a work permit.  If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for a work permit under NAFTA.  If you are not a U.S. citizen, and do not qualify under other international agreements and treaties, then you will face a two step process.  Your employer in Canada will first need to obtain a labour market opinion (LMO, or also called “Confirmation”)  from Service Canada concerning your job in Canada; if a positive LMO is granted, you will then need to apply for the work permit at the applicable visa post for your country.  Application processing times vary greatly, and can be checked out at:

CLG lawyers can help you and your employer with each step of the LMO and work permit application process.  It can be lengthy and there are many new regulations that make it important for the employer to obtain sound legal advice before committing to hire a foreign national.

At CLG, we take pride in being able to help both sides: The employer and the employee.  We offer courtesy in-house seminars to companies needing repeated cross-border transfers of employees.  Our corporate clients appreciate the efficiency with which our lawyers work with human resources personel.

Sometimes, a work permit is not necessary and you may qualify for a short work-related stay in Canada as a business visitor.  There are many conditions applicable to a business visitor entry, which we canvass with you to determine if this is the best path for you.